Faculty Research & Creative Activity
Faculty Research & Creative Activity
Academic Year 2016-17
- Awards and honors
- Research, creative, and professional work
Current faculty: please use this form to submit your recently completed work.
Academic Year 2016-17
- The Rowan University Art Gallery – $10,000, National Endowment for the Arts, December 2015. This grant funded the exhibition Elegy for Tesla, a collaboration between artist Jeanne Jaffe and the College of Engineering. Exhibition presented in Gallery West in September 2015 – January 2016.
- The RUAG also received the third year of their $18,000, 3-year grant from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts.
- Almon, Amanda (Art) – Project Title: Clinical Trail of Decision Support for End of Life Care Among Surrogate Decision Makers of the Chronically Critically Ill, Interactive association/simulation. Sponsor: Case Western Reserve University. Cumulative Estimated Award amount (for Rowan only): $13,018.00
- Graziano, Jane (Art) – The Beginning Teacher Project: Building Capacity & Professional Learning: A Partnership between Rowan University College of Education, The Bridgeton Public Schools, Rowan University College of Communication and Creative Arts. Role: CCCA Coordinator. Award amount: $200,000. Completed: Year 1 of 3.
- Olshefski, Jonathan (RTF) – $100,000 from the highly competitive MacArthur Foundation Documentary Film Grant Program for post-production work on Quest.
- Wang, Tingting (Art) – NAEA Research Grant Fund, awarded by the Board of Trustees of the National Art Education Foundation. Award amount: $8,000.
- Joy M. Cypher was named ECA Teaching Fellow at the annual convention of the Eastern Communication Association, held in Baltimore, MD this spring.
- Maria Hidalgo, an undergraduate in Communication Studies, received a place in a Fulbright Summer Institute at the University of Bristol, England this summer.
- The Whit won four New Jersey Collegiate Press Awards:
- Ethan Stoetzer, First place Editorial Writing, Eight years later, we must remember; We can’t just go forward
- Caitlin Ware & Gina Scamuffa, Second place Layout and Design, Color Me Rowan Weekend; Homecoming
- The Whit Staff, Second place Overall Website
- Taylor Henry, Third place Biography/ Personality Piece, Keith Johnson: Edelman Planetarium director retires
- Asi Nia-Schoenstein (Public Relations & Advertising), Jennifer Courtney (Writing Arts), Nancy Ohanian (Art), Daniel Strasser (Communication Studies), and Phil Anastasia (Journalism) were included in the 2016 Rowan University Wall of Fame Awards for Excellence in Teaching.
- Derek Jones (WGLS-FM), Ned Eckhardt (Radio, TV & Film), and Ron Block (Writing Arts), were included in the 2016 Rowan University Wall of Fame Awards for Excellence in Advising.
- Jane Graziano received a New Jersey Governor’s Award for the National Art Education Association New Jersey State Art Educator of the Year for higher ed. and a Commendation from the State of New Jersey Senate and State Assembly for distinction in the field of Visual Arts Education.
- Mark VanZeven Bergen, Bianca Beck, Matthew Torres and Joseph Savin, undergraduate students, won 4th place at the Broadcast Education Association Festival of Media Arts for their work “After Tragedy.”
- Chet Green and Nick DeFeo, undergraduate students, were awarded an Honorable Mention for their work “WGLS FM: 50 Years and Counting” at the Broadcast Education Association Festival of Media Arts.
- WGLS-FM Assistant Station Manager Leo Kirschner and Philadelphia radio veteran Angela Mason produced “50 Years and Counting: The Oral History of WGLS-FM.” The four-part, 2-hour documentary series was recognized by The Communicator Awards and Hermes Awards for achievement in audio production and programming.
- WGLS-FM radio documentary “Guns: Calibrate Your Thinking,” produced by Sam Arcaini, Alyssa Compa, and Bob Duncan, earned radio programming awards from The Communicator Awards and Hermes Awards.
- WGLS-FM’s Laurie Senior produced “8-Bit to HD: The Evolution of Video Games and Their Effects on Society.” The radio documentary won first place in the Garden State Journalists Association awards competition for Best Radio Feature and earned a Gold Award from the Hermes Awards.
- The Rowan University Art Gallery received a Citation of Excellence Award from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts for the 3rd consecutive year.
Adelson, Fred. Courier-Post/Gannett. “America in Focus,” November 22, 2015; “Art in Abundance,” October 4, 2015; “Clear Impressions: Wheaton Arts,” June 7, 2015; “Contemporary Israeli Art: Focus of Rutgers Show,” November 8, 2015; “Global Impression,” July 12, 2015; “Heavy Metal: Iron Works Take Center Stage at the Barnes,” December 13, 2015; “His Rightful Place: Norman Lewis . . .,” January 17, 2016; “Philly Goes Pop!,” March 13, 2016; “Private Pursuits; Public Pleasures,” July 5, 2015; “The Art of Reinvention: Love, War and 2 Sides of Picasso at the Barnes,” March 6, 2015
Albone, Ken. “Use of Exercises for Assessing Understanding and Competencies in Interpersonal Communication.” Assessment Institute Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN. October 2015,
Appelson, Herb. Group Exhibition. AFA Gallery Scranton, PA 2015; Congregation Beth Or, Elkins Park, Pa 2016; East Wing of the PA Capitol Building, Harrisburg, PA 2016; Haverford College, Haverford, Pa, 2016; Old City Jewish Art Center Philadelphia, PA 2015; Plastic Club, Philadelphia, Pa 2015; Widener University, Chester, Pa 2015
Chinen Biesen, Sheri. “‘War Scarred’ Antiheroes in Film Noir: A Socio-Historical Review from Bogart in The Big Sleep to Brando in The Godfather.” Albiet 3.1 (2016). Web.
Chinen Biesen, Sheri. “Blues, Smoke and Shadows: Jazz and Musical Noir Films.” Competitively selected paper, Literature/Film Association Annual Conference, York, PA. October 2015.
Chinen Biesen, Sheri. “Blues, Smoke and Shadows: Jazz in 'Musical' Noir Films.” 14th Annual Hawaii International Conference on the Arts and Humanities. Hilton Hawaiian Village, Honolulu. January 2016.
Chinen Biesen, Sheri. “Virginia Van Upp and Women Behind the Scenes in “Musical.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference. Hilton Atlanta, Atlanta. March 2016.
Chinen Biesen, Sheri. An Historical Examination of the Film Theories and Avant-Garde Mediation of Slavko Vorkapich in Hollywood.", Cineform, 21 (2015): 9-38.
Conradi, Jan. A’jureka Art Residency in Cefalù, Sicily. October 28 - December 2, 2015
Conradi, Jan. Gallery exhibition: 360° Esposizione D’Arte. Corte Delle Stelle, Cefalù, Nov. 2015
Conradi, Jan. New identity system and product labels/packaging for Azienda Agricola Agrimell. Controne, Italy.
Conradi, Jan. Presentation based on Vignelli book and student work critiques: AIGA Colorado, Denver, CO, September 2015; AIGA Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, September 2015; Design in Italy: Iowa State University, Rome, Italy, December 2015; Iowa State University College of Design, Ames, IA, September 2015; L’Accademia di Belle Arti di Catania, Sicily, December 2015.
Courtney, Jennifer. “Preparing Future Faculty in Writing.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Houston, TX. April 2016.
Cypher, Joy M. “The Ethics of Absence: Silence of Disability Issues in Communication Ethics Classes.” Presentation. National Communication Association Convention, Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Eger, E., West , I., Eckstein, A., Wiens, B., LeMaster, B., Klein, N., … Lockhart, Eleanor. “Embracing and Centering Transgender Communication Studies: Research(er) Ethics, Positionalities, and Opportunities.” National Communication Association Convention, Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Garyantes, Dianne M. & Mark Berkey-Gerard. “Mobile Journalism 101: Teaching Students to Use Mobile Devices to Produce News Content.” Teaching Journalism and Mass Communication 5.1 (2015): 33-42.
Gower, Jill. Advance Retreat, Invitational. Zoom Symposium, UW-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI. May 2016.
Gower, Jill. Artists Emerged: NJ Emerging Artists Series New Works. Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ. April 2016.
Gower, Jill. Earrings 3, Invitational. Velvet da Vinci, San Francisco, CA. March 2016.
Gower, Jill. Earrings Galore. Heidi Lowe Gallery, Rehoboth, DE, and at Zoom, Milwaukee, WI. May 2016.
Gower, Jill. Little Dreams in Glass and Metal - Selections from the Enamel Arts Foundation, Invitational. Craft and Folk Art Museum, Los Angeles, CA. January-May 2016.
Gower, Jill. New Jersey State Council on the Arts Fellowship Exhibition Invitational. Rechnitz Hall's DiMattio Gallery, Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ. January-March 2016.
Gower, Jill. Over the Top/2016 Master Artists Workshop Presenters, Invitational. Clemens Fine Arts Center Gallery, Paducah School of Art and Design, Paducah, KY. January-February 2016.
Gower, Jill. Refined IX: Humor. Reavley Gallery of The Cole Art Center, Nacogdoches, TX. January-March 2016. Honorable Mention for Fleshgem #3.
Han, Ai Guo. “Social Modeling of Confucianism Vs. Self-Realization of Daoism.” Annual International Conference of ACPSS (Association of Chinese Professors of Humanities and Social Sciences), Jacksonville, Florida. October 2015.
Hanna, Joan. The Miracle of Mercury. Georgetown, KY: Finishing Line Press, 2015.
Hausman, Carl, Frank Messere, and Philip Benoit. Modern Radio and Audio Production: Programming and Performance, 10th Edition, Boston: Cengage, 2016.
Hausman, Carl. How to Think About Information: A Student Journalist’s Guide to Critical Thinking. New York: Amazon, 2016. Kindle format.
Hausman, Carl. Taming the Big Document: How to Use Labeled Source Documents and an Outline to Simplify the Writing Process, Philly Ad Club News, Sept.-Oct. 2015
Hausman, Carl. Three Steps to Overcoming Writer’s Procrastination, If You Can Get Around to Trying Them, Philly Ad Club News, July-Aug. 2015
Hausman, Carl. Write Like a Pro: Ten Techniques for Getting Your Point Across at Work (and in Life). Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2016.
Hottle, Andrew D. "Joan Glueckman: A Needlepoint Artist in the New York Art Scene." Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC). Pittsburgh, PA. October 2015.
Johnson Kristine, Marilena O. Vilceanu, and Manuel Pontes. “Flirting Online and the Connection Between the Use of Dating Websites and Dating Applications.” Association of Marketing Theory and Practice. St. Simons, GA. March 2016.
Johnson, Kristine, and Manuel Pontes. “In-Store Use of Mobile Phones for Point-of-Purchase Product Information Searches in the US.” Journal of Applied Marketing Theory 6.1 (2015): 1-13.
Kelley, Candace “The Night Whoopi Gave Me a Win.” TVWorthWatching, Feb. 2016
Kelley, Candace. Interviews for Comcast/NBC Universal: Congressman Ami Bera, RE: Long-Term Care, March, 2016; Congressman J. Randy Forbes, RE: House Armed Services Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee Legislation, April 2016; Ebonie Riley, Washington, D.C. Executive Director, RE: National Action Network, January 2016; Nina Rees, CEO, National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, February 2016
Kim, Soojin and Sun-Young Park. “The Reciprocal Impact of Pictorial and Verbal Metaphors in Advertising: The moderating Role of NFC.” American Academy of Advertising Conference. Seattle, WA. March 2016.
Lore, Millicent, Aubrey H. Wang, and M. Toni Buckley. “Effectiveness of a Parent-Child Home Numeracy Intervention on Urban Catholic School First-Grade Students. Journal of Catholic Education, 19.3 (2016): 139-161.
Moore, Edward H. “PR Research and Survey Techniques.” NSPRA National Seminar, Nashville, TN. July 2015.
Moore, Edward H. “Trend Tracker: Profit from the PR Research that Floats Past You Every Day.” NSPRA’s eNetwork. October 2015.
Novak, Alison N. “‘No Good Can Come After Midnight’: Examining the Context of Controversial Curfew Laws.” Mid-Atlantic Popular & American Culture Association Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA. November 2015.
Novak, Alison N. “‘They’re the Thing, Stuff-Wanters:’ Television Coverage of the Millennial Generation in the 2012 U.S. Election.” National Communication Association Convention. Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Novak, Alison N. “Little Shop of…: Intersections of the 9/11 Memorial Gift Shop, Capitalism, and Journalism.” Eastern Communication Association 2016 Conference. Baltimore, MD. April 2016.
Novak, Alison N. “Smartest Guys in the Room: Framing the Future of Media Regulation through Netflix” National Communication Association Convention. Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Novak, Alison N. and Ernest Hakanen. “Framing Technological Influence through C-SPAN.” Exploring the C-SPAN Archives: Advancing the Research Agenda. Ed. Robert Browning. West Lafayette, IN: Purdue University Press, 2015: 23-44.
Novak, Alison N. and I. El-Burki. “A Union Man: Framing Race in College Athletic Policy Debates.” Journal of Race and Policy, 11.2 (2016): 28-44.
Novak, Alison N. Media, Millennials, and Politics: The Coming of Age of the Next Political Generation. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2016.
Ohanian, Nancy. Exhibition. Permanent Collection: Center for the Study of Political Graphics, Los Angeles, CA. January 2016.
Ohanian, Nancy. Exhibition. The Sheen Center, New York, NY. April 2016.
Ohanian, Nancy. Off-Broadway theatre poster: “The Anarchist” Written by David Mamet; Directed by Marja-Lewis
Olshefski, Jonathan. Punk Rock Mommy: Adaptation from Digital to Analog. Literature Film Association Conference, York, PA. October 2015.
Park, Sun-Young and Cynthia Morton. “The Role of Regulatory Focus, Social Distance, and Involvement in Anti-High-Risk Drinking Advertising: A Construal-Level Theory Perspective.” Journal of Advertising 44.4 (2015): 338-348.
Park, Sun-Young., Moonhee Cho, and Soojin Kim. “Value from Expectancy Violation and Confirmation Bias: Differential Effects of Positive and Negative CSR Performance on Consumer Responses.” American Academy of Advertising Conference. Seattle, WA. March 2016.
Pett, Rudy, and John C. Feaster. “A Longitudinal Analysis of the Basic Public Speaking Course: Examining Associations among Public Speaking Apprehension, Self-Disclosure, and Relational Satisfaction.” Southern States Communication Association. Austin, TX. April 2016.
Shapiro, Rachael. “Writing about Campus Activism amidst Conflicting Publics.” Conference on Community Writing. University of Colorado, Boulder, CO. April 2016.
Staehle, Mary M., Amy R. Reed, Harriet S. Benavidez, and William T. Riddell. “Communication-based Learning Objectives in a Four-year Engineering Curriculum: A Longitudinal Analysis.” Global Journal of Engineering Education 17.1 (2015): 7-13.
Strasser, Dan. “Conceptualizing a Critical Family Communication Perspective: Embracing Opportunities of Theorizing, Methods, and Research.’ National Communication Association Conference. Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Strasser, Dan. “Embrace the Opportunity to Talk about Sex: Tough Job, But We Have to Do It.” National Communication Association Conference. Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Strasser, Dan. Self-Reflexivity, Community-Based Research, and Service Learning in the Classroom: [R]Evolutionizing Pedagogical Approaches to Student Engagement.” Eastern Communication Association Conference. Baltimore, MA. April 2016.
Strasser, Daniel, and Kathryn Hobson. “You had Sex Right?: Theorizing Desire, Identity, Reciprocity, and Sex in Queer Friendships.” Contemporary Studies of Communication and Sexuality: Theoretical and Applied Perspectives. Eds. Jimmie Manning and Carrie Noland. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2016. 169-187.
Strasser, Daniel. “‘You Might Want to Call Your Father”: An Autoethnographic Account of Masculinity, Relationships, and My Father.” Journal of Family Communication 16.1 (2016): 64-75.
Strasser, Daniel. “Student Talk, Teacher Bodies: A Performance of Student Course Evaluations.” Eastern Communication Association Conference. Baltimore, MA. April 2016.
Thorpe, M. Elizabeth, Eleanor Amaranth Lockhart, Jeramiah Hickey, and Richard Vatz. “Trigger Warnings in the College Classroom: A Panel Discussion on the Campus Debate.” Eastern Communication Association Conference. Baltimore, MA. April 2016.
Vilceanu, Marilena O. “Teaching a Four-Person, Four-Discipline Online Course on Global Challenges.” Eastern Communication Association Conference. Baltimore, MA. April 2016.
Vilceanu, Marilena O. “Using Insights from Learning Journals to Rewrite Teaching and Learning Goals in Student-Friendly Language.” International Journal of Sociotechnology and Knowledge Development 7.1 (2015): 33-45.
Vilceanu, Marilena O. & Priscilla Murphy. “News Framing and Country-of-Origin Bias in the US and China: Newspaper Coverage of Product Defects and Recalls, 2000-2014.” National Communication Association Convention, Las Vegas. November 2016.
Vilceanu, Marilena O., Kristine Johnson, Sun-Young Park, and Bokyung Kim. “News Framing and Corporate Communication: Media Coverage of Major US Retailer’s Data Breach Crises.” National Communication Association Convention, Las Vegas. November 2016.
Wang, Tingting W. “Does iPad Technology Bolster Art Teaching and Learning?” Visual Inquiry: Learning & Teaching Art 4.3 (2015): 153–167/
Wang, Tingting W. “The Landscape of Websites for Art Education and a Portrait of Their Designers.” International Journal of Education through Art 12.2 (2016): 195–209.
Wang, Tingting. “Art Education Technology Smackdown 2016.” National Art Education Association convention. Chicago, IL. March 2016
Wang, Tingting. “Children’s Westernized Beauty Ideals in China.” American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C. April 2016.
Wang, Tingting. “What Teachers Say About Using iPads in their Art Classes?” National Art Education Association convention. Chicago, IL. March 2016
West, Isaac, Ace J. Eckstein, Brianna I. Wiens, Benjamin LeMaster, Nora Klein, Elizabeth K. Eger, Mia Fischer, and Eleanor Amaranth Lockhart. “Embracing and Centering Transgender Communication Studies: Research(er) Ethics, Positionalities, and Opportunities.” National Communication Association convention. Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.
Wilhite, Barbara, Deb Martin, and John Shank. “Facilitating Physical Activity among Adults with Disabilities.” Therapeutic Recreation Journal 50.1 (2016): 33-54.
Updated April 10, 2017.